Study of Spanish Literature from its "radical historicity", through images of the
women who produce the texts, as much men as women writers.Differentiation of the different configurations of femininity in virtue of the consolidation of the patriarchal bourgeois society in Spain, and of the possible influence of gender of the male or female author in the construction of the imaginary feminine.
- Introduction. Literary texts and images of women. Some Basic considerations:
Sex/Gender, Subject/Object. Importance of the gender in the configuration of the
- The Enlightenment: Towards and elaboration of a model of angelical woman: * From
Rousseau Mary Wollstonecraft. (Diderot, Mme Lambert, Mme d'Epinay, Condorcet,
Olimpe de Gouges). * From Benito Jerónimo Feijoo to Mª Rosa Gálvez.
- The triumph of the "angel of the home" in romantic poetry and prose in the press of
the time. Selection of the most important literary reviews and magazines aimed at
men and/or women: EL ARTISTA, NO ME OLVIDES, EL ALBA, EL REFLEJO,
SEMANARIO PINTORESCO ESPAÑOL, EL DEFENSOR DEL BELLO SEXO, LA MUJER, EL
ÁNGEL DEL HOGAR, LA GUIRNALDA, LA VIOLETA...
- The great realist male/female authors. The advent of the woman-subjecy: Benito
Pérez Galdós, Leopoldo Alas "Clarín", Juan Valera, Armando Palacio Valdés, José Mª
de Pereda, Emilia Pardo Bazán.
- From "98" (Miguel de Unamuno, Pio Baroja) "27" (José Díez Fernández, Mª Teresa
León): A new concept of femininity? Woman narrated by male/female writersat the
beginning of the XXth century.
- Images of women in post-war Spain. Angels versus demons or the problem of
stereotypes. NADA (Carmen Laforet, 1944) y CINCO HORAS CON MARIO (Miguel
Delibes, 1966): Ana Mª Matute, Dolores Medio, Mercé Rodoreda, Ignacio Aldecoa,
Juan García Hortelano.
- The boom of the finisecular narrators : An open road to the emancipiation of women:
Carmen Martín Gaite, Esther Tusquets, Monserrat Roig, Carmen Riera, Rosa Montero,
Maruja Torres, Almudena Grandes, Belén Gopegui, Lucía Echevarría, Espido Freire...
Analysis of selected texts, sections or complete, depending on their length.
Participation in class. Individual work on one of the authors studied.
This will be given at the beginning of the course.